"To me, there is nothing more rewarding or exciting than seeing a student light up when they grasp a concept, or quickly work through material that they struggled with two weeks prior."
Lauren Pass provides personalized in-person and online tutoring for students ages 10 to adult. Lauren can provide study materials, or is happy to work with you through your own projects or assignments. Lessons can take place at a location convenient for you near Santa Barbara, CA. Or, learn from anywhere in the work through Skype or an online classroom platform.
Lauren's areas of expertise include academic and business writing, English as a second language, and mathematics through Algebra I. She has been working as a private tutor since 2008, and earned her TESOL certification from UC Berkeley Extension in 2013. She spent two years as a classroom ESL instructor, first in San Francisco and then in Vietnam, before deciding to return to one-on-one work that allows for greater focus on individual student needs.
An effective and enthusiastic tutor, Lauren is very adaptable to a variety of student abilities and learning styles. Having worked with a wide range of people from overactive 3rd graders to Saudi military personnel, she is very skilled at quickly evaluating student needs and customizing lessons accordingly. Her lessons can provide personalized support for classroom learning, or provide independent students with a plan of study.
Lauren’s style is to go beyond simply helping students with homework and passing tests. What is more important is getting students to really appreciate, and feel confident with the material. It is not enough to just memorize rules of grammar and math; students must understand them so that they can be used more effectively and creatively.
- College level and high school essay writing
- Business English and efficient emails
- Brainstorming, pre-writing, outlining, and editing
- Argument development, analytical skills, thesis formation
- Grammar and sentence structure
- English as a Second Language
- Conversational English, idioms, and communication conventions
- Pronunciation and Intonation
- Grammar and sentence formation
- Reading and listening skills
- Writing skills
- Elementary math skills/concepts including multiplication, division, fractions, decimals and percentages
- Practical application and word problems
- Algebra I
- Other Services
- Study skills